- 350g Frozen chestnuts
- 70g Salted butter
- 1 Large onion, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 Leek (white only), finely chopped
- 1 Fennel bulb, cored & roughly chopped
- 8 Fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 100ml Dry white wine
- 1 litre Hot chicken stock
- 50g Mascarpone cheese
- To taste Salt
- To taste White pepper
Found in This Book
Feast your eyes on the finest chestnut & fennel soup with sage! It’s straightforward and fun to make this great dish. Simply follow the instructions below and get the perfect result.
Step By Step
- Place the chestnuts in a small saucepan and pour over enough boiling water to cover. Place over a medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside. Reserve 3 chestnuts for the garnish.
- Melt 50g of the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion, leek, fennel and half the sage and fry for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Increase the heat and pour in the wine. Bring to the boil and let it bubble for 2 minutes. Add the stock and chestnuts, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and blitz the soup using a blender or food processor. Add the mascarpone and blitz again until smooth, then season with salt and pepper. Return to a medium heat for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, finely chop the reserved chestnuts.
- In a small frying pan melt the remaining butter. Fry the chopped chestnuts with the remaining sage and a pinch of salt for 3 minutes or until the sage is slightly crispy.
- Ladle the soup into warm bowls and garnish with the chestnut and sage mixture.
Once you’re done, simply sit back and enjoy your chestnut & fennel soup with sage and don’t forget to check out other great authentic Italian recipes including great antipasti recipes, Italian pasta recipes, Italian soup recipes, Italian beef dishes and authentic pizza recipes.