- 20g Raisins
- 50ml Marsala wine
- 5 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Shallots, peeled & finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Fresh, flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 15 Walnut halves, finely chopped
- 1 Grated zest & juice, unwaxed lemon
- 30g White breadcrumbs, dried
- 30g Capers, drained & chopped
- 20g Freshly grated Pecorino cheese
- 3 Long aubergines, large
- 8 Bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- To taste Salt
- To taste Freshly ground black pepper
Found in This Book
Feast your eyes on the finest rolled aubergines stuffed wth raisins, capers & walnuts! It’s straightforward and fun to make this great dish. Simply follow the instructions below and get the perfect result.
Step By Step
- Soak 4 wooden skewers, about 30cm long, in cold water for at least 30 minutes.
- To make the stuffing mixture, put the raisins in a small bowl or cup, pour over the Marsala and leave to soak for 20 minutes, then drain. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Add the shallots and fry for 5 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Stir in the parsley, season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat. Add the walnuts, lemon zest, breadcrumbs, capers, pecorino and drained raisins. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Using a long, sharp knife cut each aubergine lengthways into slices about 1cm thick. Discard the first and last slice.Use the 12 widest slices.
- Drop the aubergine slices into the boiling water., bring back to the boil and simmer for 4 minutes or until softened. Drain thoroughly then spread out on kitchen paper to dry.
- Place the aubergine slices on a board and spread the stuffing equally on all the slices. Roll up each slice and thread 3 aubergine rolls on each skewer. Thread a bay leaf on either end of the skewer.
- Arrange the skewers on a large oiled baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and brush over the lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. Bake for 40 minutes. Serve immediately.
Once you’re done, simply sit back and enjoy your rolled aubergines stuffed wth raisins, capers & walnuts and don’t forget to check out other great authentic Italian recipes including great antipasti recipes, Italian pasta recipes, Italian soup recipes, Italian beef dishes and authentic pizza recipes.