- 1kg Live clams
- 120ml Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Garlic cloves, peeled & finely sliced
- Half a teaspoon Dried chilli flakes
- 40ml Dry white wine
- 60g Bottarga (salted, dried fish roe), freshly grated
- 500g Home-made Sardinian pasta shells
- 3 tablespoons Fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 50g Walnut halves, roughly chopped
- To taste Salt
Found in This Book
Feast your eyes on the finest sardinian pasta shells with clams, walnuts, chilli & bottarga! It’s straightforward and fun to make this great dish. Simply follow the instructions below and get the perfect result.
Step By Step
- Soak the clams in cold salted water for 1 hour, drain well and scrub the shells under cold running water. Discard any open clams or clams with broken shells.
- Heat 80ml of the oil in a large frying pan or wok over a medium heat. Add the garlic and chilli flakes and fry for 30 seconds. Tip in the clams then pour over the wine and cover. Cook for 2 minutes or until the shells open, shaking the pan occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat and discard any clams that have not opened. Remove half the clams from their shells and add the clam meat to the pan; discard the empty shells. Stir in half the bottarga and cook for 1 minute over a medium heat.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta shells in a large pan of boiling, salted water for about 2 minutes or until they float to the top. Drain and add to the clams. Pour over the remaining oil; stir for 30 seconds. Add the parsley, walnuts and remaining bottarga. Serve immediately.
Once you’re done, simply sit back and enjoy your sardinian pasta shells with clams, walnuts, chilli & bottarga and don’t forget to check out other great authentic Italian recipes including great antipasti recipes, Italian pasta recipes, Italian soup recipes, Italian beef dishes and authentic pizza recipes.